Thursday, April 24, 2014

Savory Breakfast Fritatta

This might just be my new favorite breakfast. It's healthy. It's filling. And it sure is delicious. There also so many choices and I love to have so many options. The main purpose of me making this was for a healthy, filling breakfast the morning of my big science exam because I'm always that one person in the exam room with the stomach that sounds like an angry grizzly bear waiting for food. Soooo instead of eating cereal and milk like I usually do I made the almighty FRITATTA. Can I just say that my stomach only growled once! That's a record! Anyway, I'll shut up so we can get to the recipe(lol).



Ingredients:
  • 8 eggs
  • 1 cup grated cheese of your choice plus more for sprinkling
  • 1 tsp. fresh or dry herbs, minced 
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1/2 of an onion, chopped
  • 1/2 of a bell pepper, chopped (the color is your choice, I bought a variety of colors)
  • 5-6 mushrooms, chopped
  • 1/2 cup chopped kale, chopped
  • 2-3 slices of bacon
  • Salt & Pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a large bowl whisk the eggs, cheese, herbs, milk, and salt and pepper. Set aside.
3. In a cast iron skillet or any oven safe skillet fry the bacon.
4. When the bacon is crispy. Lay it on a paper towel lined plate. Then put the onion, bell pepper, mushrooms, and kale into the bacon fat. Sauté until the veggies look softened.
5. Season the veggies with salt and pepper. The reason I season at the end is because mushrooms are involved. Mushrooms are very watery vegetable so when you season it with salt before it is done cooking, you are drawing the water out. By seasoning it at the end you get nice browned mushrooms.
6. Chop the bacon and add to the pan. Spread the veggies in an even layer across the pan. Then add the egg mixture and stir for a minute or so. This ensure that the veggies are distributed throughout the fritatta not just at the bottom but don't over mix.
7. Sprinkle some cheese on top and let the eggs cook until they are set around the edges.
8. Put the whole pan in the oven. Bake until it looks set on top and it doesn't jiggle when you shake the pan.
9. Let it cool and cut into wedges for a great on-the-go breakfast!





Happy Cooking,
~Pree

No comments:

Post a Comment