Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Surprise! How to get cake in an egg

Guess what I did over my Easter? You guessed it.

I apologize if the image is a little fuzzy. My DSLR camera ran out of battery in the middle of the recipe and I  can't seem to remember where I placed the charger. I don't really know where my head is these days (lol). This and the pictures toward the end are taken by my iPad.

No this is not magic but it IS a good way to trick your friends and family. In fact this would be pretty good for not only Easter but April Fool's Day too. So let's get started!

* Btw this is an adaption of a recipe I saw on The Cupcake Project blog. All I did was change the cake recipe and dyed the eggs. Here is the link if you want to head over to the blog. It's amazing! http://www.cupcakeproject.com/2011/04/easter-cupcakes-baked-in-real-egg.html

Yield: 12 large egg cakes

Ingredients: 
Dozen jumbo eggs
Dye of your choice
1 tsp. vinegar
Cake recipe of your choice

As you can see the ingredient less is very general. There are so many possibilities!



1. Make a tiny hole on the top of the egg. You want the hole to be big enough to fit a piping tip in it but small enough to actually hold the cake while it bakes. I used the end of a thermometer to poke and widen the hole. Then put the egg upside down and let the contents pour out. ( Don't worry I have a few recipes coming on what to do with all of this left over egg.)


2. Rinse the egg thoroughly inside and out. Fill a large bowl with saltwater and put the eggs in. Make sure to fill the hole with water so the egg will sink.


3. Let them soak for 30 minutes.


4. Lay them on a paper towel to dry. 


5. Choose you dyes. I used pink, blue, purple and orange. Fill the bowls with 1 cup hot water, 1 tsp. vinegar, and 5 drops of your food coloring. You can increase or decrease the amount depending on the color you're going for. I found that the orange bowl needed more coloring because it was the lightest color. This dyeing method was adapted from the Martha Stewart method. 





6. Drop the eggs in the dye and let them sit for about 1 minute each side. I flip them using my fingers. The amount of time you leave them in depends on the color you want. Set on a paper towel. 



7. Next I make the cake. I used boxed mix ( I know it's lazy but this recipe is already kind of long and tedious). This is pretty self explanatory since the directions are on the back of the box except for..... 

SPRINKLESSSSSS!!! Apparently they don't sell funfetti cake mix at my grocery store anymore so I decided to make my own.




8. Put the eggs in a muffin tin so they look like this and stand upright. I teared off pieces of foil tin and positioned them so they helped the egg stand up.

After this step is when my camera battery (sadly) died so I don't have any pictures. 

9. Load your batter into a piping bag with a round tip. ( I will have a post where I teach you guys how to use a piping bag in the future.) Pipe the filling into the egg hole. Widen the hole if you need too. Remember to only fill it up 3/4 of the way or else they will totally overflow.

10. Bake according to the recipe you are following. You may need to shorten the time since the eggs are much small then an actual cake.

And voila! 

I used the leftover batter to make cupcakes. 

Again this was taken by iPad so the picture quality isn't as good.

Happy cooking!
~ Pree



















No comments:

Post a Comment