Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Tofu Parmesan

Ya I said it. Tofu parmesan. Your probably thinking "Ok that sounds disgusting." But trust me it is quite delicious actually. And since this is Global Kitchen Kids, emphasis on the Global I'm gonna try something new today. This isn't you regular Chicken Parmesan I am going to use tofu instead of chicken.



Ingredients: 
1 tsp Sesame Oil
1 pack of Firm tofu 
Salt 
Pepper
1 15 oz can tomato sauce
1/2 an onion onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/4 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp dried thyme
2 Egg
2 c Pank breadcrumbs
1/2 c Flour
1/2 c Parmesan cheese


1. Cut tofu into slices.




2. Brush with sesame oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.


3. Put into a ziploc bag and label it tofu so nobody thinks it's soggy bread (lol).


4. Stick it in the fridge and forget about it.


5. Just kidding guys marinate it for 1 and a half hours. I felt this was long enough to get the sesame flavor in the tofu. A little side note: whenever I cook tofu I always put sesame oil because the smoky, toasty flavor compliments it and in my opinion makes it taste a little more like meat.



6. Chop some onion and garlic and put it in the pan.


7. Olive oil creds to Cat Cora where ever you may be. Best olive oil ever! And I'm also loving this automatic can open. So much easier!


8. Put the sauce in the pot and add some oregano, basil and thyme. That is my power trio! Of course fresh basil would be way better so you can add that if you want.



9. So I turned the camera off for this part because it would get way too messy. Basically lay out your flour, egg, and panko breadcrumbs in separate trays. Then season each one with a little salt and pepper. Then season the breadcrumbs with the oregano, basil and parmesan cheese. Dip each tofu slice in the flour then egg then panko. Little diagram:

Flour---> Egg----> Panko (with oregano, basil, and parmesan) 

Lay it in a plate or in my case this cooling rack. It insures that the bottom doesn't get to soggy plus it lets the breadcrumb stick better. 


10. Sear it in a pan on high heat with vegetable oil in it. Put on a baking sheet and pour tomato sauce over it. Sprinkle the parmesan on top. Finish cooking in the oven just long enough to get the cheese melted. 



Eat hot because there is nothing worst than cold tofu.

Enjoy,
~ Pree







No comments:

Post a Comment